Pages

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Overcoming Home Sickness


I am currently in Australia and having the most amazing time, however I am on the other side of the world. This opportunity is amazing and I love every part of it, but I would be lying if I said I don't miss home. I realize that every time I travel I always forget how home sick I get, but that doesn't stop me. It wasn't always this way. I remember when I went to Peru; I cried almost every single night because I missed my family so much.  Now that I am here and it has been about 2 weeks I think I have got the whole overcoming home sickness thing down.

This trip has been a lot better because every time I feel homesick I know what to do. Instead of letting it ruin my trip and constantly bug me, I can understand it and reflect on it. Right now I am able to really combat my home sickness and allow myself to really enjoy this trip. 

This is my routine that I do when I start to feel homesick. I found this works best for me based on my experience with anxiety as well as the people I am with. I know every one experiences home sickness differently, but for me this seems to work.

First-When I first feel homesick I try to take a shower or bath because those really calm me down. I know whenever I am upset I need to take a shower or bath to clear my head and just calm my nerves. Once I have taken a bath or shower I then change into comfortable clothing because usually when I get homesick I want to sleep. 

Second-I know most people would say to just call or text your family, but for me it makes me feel ten times worse because then I start crying and I don't actually get to talk to them. However, once I am called down and have pretty much realized why I am missing home, I address it. Usually it is just that something feels wrong and it ends up being that I feel like I forgot something or am missing out on something at home. In those times I try to reciprocate it. I think about what I missed and then reflect on the amazing time I am having here.

Third- I try to keep myself somewhat occupied on trips and not get lost in my head. I try to set some daily tasks to do instead of letting my mind wonder into the "what ifs." This usually means that I will try to read a book, go to lunch, bake something, or go to work with the family I am staying with.

Fourth-I really have been trying to create some what of a routine because I am such a creature of habit. I like to know what I am doing and have it almost be second nature to me. This also makes me feel more comfortable in my space. This can be harder on short trips, but on long trips they really pay off.

Fifth- I think that talking about being home sick makes me feel less home sick. Especially when I start to feel really lonely. I think the best thing to do is talk about it with someone there that you trust and let them know how and what you are feeling. Feeling home sick really does suck, but it is something that most people feel and it doesn't have to stop you.

I hope this helped you guys if you get home sick or are homesick.

Have a great day!
Allie