Pages

Saturday, June 10, 2017

How To Survive Junior Year


It is finally here. This week is my last full week of being a high school junior and I am so excited yet freaked out. It feels like just yesterday I was a freshman! However, because of me being almost done with junior year I decided to write a list of the top 10 things you need to remember to do as a junior!! I hope you guys enjoy it!

  1. Challenge Yourself- Junior year is the year before you apply to colleges, which seems so crazy to me! This is the last real year that colleges will be looking at and you need to make sure you take a class load that reflects you. I definitely recommend taking AP classes (but not AP Chem) because these can give a nice GPA boost and you can earn college credit!  
  2. Plan Ahead- This year I loved looking at colleges. Right now I have a list of all the schools I want to apply to and what the deadlines are. I also was able to travel and go look at a few schools that I have a huge interest in.
  3. Talk with Teachers- Get to know teachers and let them know you! This year I got a job, a volunteer position, and have great opportunities ahead of me. Most of those things wouldn't be possible without recommendation letters from teachers. Also, colleges usually require those and you want to make sure you receive a great letter from a teacher who knows your passions and work ethic.
  4.  Do Something- Junior year is already so busy but this year I was able to do many things that I wouldn't be able to do now. By junior year you (usually) have your license so activities like jobs and volunteer work are now options! Having a job and a volunteer position have been so rewarding!
  5. Start Early- I have taken both the SAT and ACT, and the first time a took the ACT was today! It is the middle of June!!! If I could go back in time I would tell myself to start taking these tests in the winter of my junior year. You want to have as much time as possible to study and improve, especially without the stress of college applications lingering above you.
  6. Have School Spirit- This year I only went to one football game. I wish I went to a ton more because they are truly so much fun! If you are like me and already have a super busy schedule, use the assemblies and spirit days to show your school spirit. (PS- go to the state championship basketball game because you will hate yourself for not going)
  7. Value Your Friends- This year was either great or sucked just because of friends. They can be so supportive and I think we sometimes forget that just because you can't hang out with someone all the time, doesn't mean your friendship has gone bad. 
  8. Find Your Passion- This year I found so many things I am passionate about including kids, volunteer work, and writing. My job has been amazing and has taught me that my career definitely needs to have kids in it. My volunteer work has lead me to an organization that needs to be heard. This year has been huge for me in writing. I started a blog (obviously) and I also joined out school newspaper!
  9. Be Realistic- I went in to my junior year planning on getting a 4.0 (unweighted) GPA, making a ton of friends, being super social, dressing cute everyday, and getting a 1500 on the SAT (nope). Sometimes life happens and you need to be grateful for that. I didn't get an A in some classes but getting that B saved me my sanity. 
  10. Have Fun- You only go to high school once, you are only a teenager once, and this life isn't forever. Its okay to make mistakes and its okay to not like Prom. As long as you are being true to yourself and doing what is best for you, you are doing great!
I hope this helped any of you that are stressing over junior year, its not that bad but its also just a year of school. If you guys have any questions about how mine went just email me!